Sunday, July 5, 2009

Yo yos or Suffolk puffs

Yesterday we lost power to the house because of an accident some distance from our home. It brings into perspective how dependent we are on our modern conveniences & as we don't have gas for cooking, cold uncooked porridge & frozen bread didn't appeal so off we went for a hot breakfast.
And after that I went out for a day shopping with some Mexette friends. The scarf in the photo above is made of Suffolk puffs or yo yos. Two sizes of this old favourite make up this 1.5metre long up-market brand scarf.

3 comments:

  1. I bet the price was exhorbitant. I knew I was saving my large bag of yo yos for something special! Now where did I put them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother made 2 bedspreads of yo-yos in the 1930s when she was 8 years old, and I still have them, somewhere. She remembers getting fabric scraps from a friend whose father was in the dress business, and stitching these together. Amazing to see it coming back into popularity again! They even sell plastic yo yo maker thingys now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the best use I have ever seen for suffolk puffs. Stunning. Where was it?

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete