Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rubbing India

Many of the sites we visited were heritage listed, so it was not appropriate to take out oil paint sticks and rub over the reliefs. An opportunity for a group rubbing/printing session came one afternoon at Udai Bagh resort, next to the pool.
We pooled our blocks bought during our shopping and off we went!
Even Anukram got into the swing of things with the elephant and camel wood blocks.
Anita's wood block was the most popular and I was able to rub it's design onto this rusted piece of cotton/linen fabric I'd brought with me. Rusting fabric is very easy with any rusty object, which can be placed on top of the fabric or under it. Dampen the fabric with a light application of white vinegar and water to begin the process. Keep the fabric damp by covering or placing in a plastic bag and after 24 hours you should see some results. When handling the rusty fabric and objects use gloves. Wash thoroughly in salty water and finally fresh water. The final wash can be in the washing machine.

3 comments:

  1. Like your new piece of cloth art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time Sue, I can see why Anita's piece was favoured wonderful results. Being a rustafarian myself I'm drawn to anything rusted. Thanks for sharing your rusting fabric method too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too me too... loovve rust and rusting fabrics.. and paper!!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete