Thursday, October 23, 2014

Seduced by the Impefect series

It was so helpful to have my friends hold up the quilts from this series, as I hadn't looked at them in a grouping of 4, just 2 together at a time on the design wall. They were also generous in their comments and I have a few ideas to fix some "problem" areas.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Viewpoints 9 quilt

After the unhappy first attempt for the Environment and Ecology challenge set by Hsin-Chen Lin for the current Viewpoints 9 challenge I refined my design and focused on getting a strong, clear message. Luckily I still had enough of the blue dyed background. Not wide enough but I really like the solution I came up with to compensate. This photo shows my first step- checking spacing for my word.
I used a black, fine tip permanent marker to get the stencilled letters into position before hand painting. The white guide line is made with a sliver of soap- very easy to remove.
Unfortunately I can't show a full view of my quilt just yet, as reveal is October 27 USA time [Oct 28 here]. I printed and rubbed various seeds/seed pods and used the fabric paint to add the same colour to left over strips. These made a great addition to the narrow vertical side giving me the extra centimetres I needed.
I had also experimented with sun printing and this fabric was my backing piece.


Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Handy light

This small light, purchased at the recent Quilt and Craft Fair has already proved to be a handy purchase. It has 3 levels of brightness and the head can be turned to shed light upward as well as in the usual downward orientation. Put under my sewing machine, clear Perspex extension table, I had an instant light box. Very easy to trace my drawings onto my fabric!
And after hand painting the drawings, I didn't end up using this piece as the message I was trying to convey wasn't strong enough, so I started again. I'll share part of the new design tomorrow. 

Monday, October 20, 2014

Hand stitching

Hand stitching adds a different textural element to a quilt's surface but is slower than machining. I'm using a cotton crochet thread that was the right variegated green for this quilt and generally stitch a small section at night while catching up with some recorded TV.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Tempting you

Today I want to tempt you to consider a couple of things. At the Queensland Quilt Show last week I spent a couple of days volunteering at the 2QAQ table explaining that the art quilt group is part of Queensland Quilters [2Q] and membership of 2Q has many benefits. The photo above shows the bookmarks promoting 2Q and they were part of the table display I set up.
So if you are new to quilting joining a group or guild is a good way to expand your knowledge and one of the biggest benefits is the friendships developed with like minded people.
Part of the display of the 2QAQ 2014 Calendar Challenge on the back wall. The other thing I want to tempt you with is travel and more specifically, travel on a Down Under Quilts fully escorted, small group [maximum 16] tour to South Africa ending with 4 days at the biennial South African Quilt Festival. We will also go on safari and visit many worthwhile projects making a difference to lives in this country. Full details available from the Active Travel button on my blog side bar.
And now the temptation of my new quilt is drawing me to the sewing machine!


Thursday, October 16, 2014

Lampshade making

Didn't know I could do this as I had never tried before, but the class with No Chintz at the recent Quilt and Craft Show gave me an opportunity to test my skills. Just need a base now.
My friend Di was the one who got me into this hour of fun. Here's her lovely shade.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The beach

A short weekend break on the Gold Coast was a welcome treat for us both. Just walking on the sand was relaxing.
And we became familiar with some of the older landmarks of the area. Main Beach is a short distance north of Surfers Paradise and a step back in time, almost.
We saw lots of these 'duck' vehicles on tour around Tedder Avenue, where we had stopped for a coffee.
Even though we were on the 11th floor the roar of the surf was constant.