Thursday, March 7, 2013

Designing process

As I have been working on the samples for the new workshop I have been photographing the steps to use as a teaching aide for the students. I thought you may like to see the progress, so far on this piece. It is A4 size. The commercial batik fabric has been stencilled.
I have added organic shapes of painted fusible to the surface.
Not knowing how the pieces I'm working on are going to turn out is keeping it fresh for me. I know the techniques I'd like to highlight and that is helping inform my design decisions. Silk is the layer for the reverse applique above.
 After free motion quilting which gives added texture even though a thin wadding has been used.
This is the backing fabric, a piece of fabric I have printed on in the past. This little piece still has more to be added on before it is finished. The surprises along the way are part of the process and something I like.

2 comments:

  1. Did you use the iron on voille on the back of the silk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Sue - it's interesting to see how you build up the design!

    ReplyDelete