Monday, February 10, 2014

Backing fabric

What fabric do you usually use for backing your quilts? My preferred fabric is 100% cotton with a pattern or colours related to the quilt design and I can usually find this readily in my stash as commercial fabric or hand dyed. Above is a photo of the back of a recently completed quilt with an Australian theme and bright colours on the front so this seemed appropriate.
And here is a small front view of the bright coloured quilt, titled Wattle Colour.
In the past I have also used a cotton/linen blend fabric with leopard spots for backing a quilt in my African Collection series. This added a little to the weight of the quilt but was easy enough to machine quilt. I hope you enjoy adding more to the quilt story via the backing fabric used.

1 comment: