Friday, June 26, 2009

Rubbing Japan # 2

Thanks Diane, Jan, Kate & Marlene for the comments on the last post. There are many sites on Manhole Covers if you Google as Jan did.
And while my trip to Japan was in October 2008 I'll share a few of the photos I took- they fall into 3 categories- food, toilets & Kitty.
When I travel I prepare a rubbing kit- a selection of 2-3 colours of paint sticks which coordinate with my chosen fabric which was in fat quarters in this case. I also carry greaseproof paper [non waxed lunch wrap] for ironing off the excess oil & colour, masking tape & wet wipes for my hands as I don't use gloves. You can see some of these items in the photo. A sign reading "mad artist" in the country's language is optional.
And after all that rubbing, green tea is in order- the bitter taste is enhanced by the sweet which accompanies it.


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted these manhole covers. I am going to Japan in January and would never have thought to pack the oilsticks.. until I got there.

    ReplyDelete