Friday, May 8, 2009

Day at the Met

Morning Milo in this distinctly New York mug with the yellow taxi on the handle & not feeling too jet lagged, a bonus. The yellow taxi that brought me in from JFK yesterday wound it's way through the early evening traffic over the Triboro Bridge, across Fifth Avenue & through Central Park before arriving at West 94th St where I'm staying with fellow SAQA member Alice.
Today the Metropolitan Museum of Art was our destination, along with bus loads of school children who arrived in these yellow buses. The Met is on Fifth Avenue, the Museum Mile & is a huge building housing enormous collections of the most magnificent treasures. My jaw was dropping as I rounded each corner. I was coming face to face with art I had only previously seen in books! And to top it off they were having a sale with books priced at $1!









These Egyptian incisions on the walls of the Temple of Dendur were calling out to me for some oil stick rubbings to be taken- if only!

The juxtaposition of the ancient Egyptian statues and the view of the city highrises across Central Park- I pinch myself... yes, I'm here!






1 comment:

  1. Wow the Museum sounds great Sue - Hope you have a lovely time. Jan

    ReplyDelete